310-207-4005 Call Today, Before The Problem Gets Bigger

Child Support & Child Support Arrearages: Have Your Circumstances Changed?

Thursday, June 15, 2017
Child Support & Child Support Arrearages: Have Your Circumstances Changed?

The child support system was created to give children the financial assistance and support they need in order to survive. However, many people find several flaws in the system. It seems that many parents are handed out an excessive amount of penalties that they cannot afford to pay. If you are the person that says you cannot afford the child support payments that you have been ordered to make, there are some things you can do.

A Financial Struggle

Many people automatically look at a parent's inability to pay child support and assume that person is a bad parent, or what some people call a "deadbeat" parent. However, there are many parents who are actually struggling to make the payments. They are not withholding payments because they want to; they are actually struggling financially. There are many non-custodial parents who are not able to make the full child support payments every month.

What Can You Do?

One of the first things you should do if you are unable to make the required child support payments is to contact your local Child Support office that issued the child support order. If you are unable to make the child support payments, you should reach out to the enforcement office and request a modification.

If your financial situation has changed, you should let the enforcement office know that your income is not the same as it was when the child support amount was ordered. Everyone's circumstances do not remain the same, and examples of circumstances that can impact a child support order include the following:

  • Loss of job
  • Change in income
  • Medical expenses are due

It is important that you reach out to the child support enforcement agreement and not try to handle the situation on your own. Contact us today for more information on child support modifications.